Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Big Trip

Last August when I was at the SMSA conference in Buffalo, I found out that this year's conference would be in Billings, MT. While there I had met a really nice guy named Ken who is from Montana and is president of the Montana BMW Riders. He is the one who originally told me about the Beartooth Pass (which I mentioned in a previous post), and spoke with a genuine passion about it and some other places he's ridden to. As we sipped our Scotch whisky, I began toying with the idea of riding to the 2008 conference in Billings. This is no small undertaking - from my town in Maryland to Billings is just over 2000 miles one-way. I've never taken a motorcycle trip of this magnitude.

It was like a seed had been planted in my brain. When I got home, I started looking at my bike a little differently. Thinking about what I would need to do and pack to make a journey like this successful. I started looking into camping gear, with an eye to what could be carried on a bike. What would I need? I've never been much of a camper, but to me that would be a big part of the trip and is probably also a necessity to make it economically feasible. I see pictures of motorcycles and tents on the internet, and they inspire me (from my nice dry, warm seat at the computer =P).



So the dream of The Big Trip was born. I've begun gathering some basic camping gear - a decent tent, sleeping gear, campstove, etc. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with it by any means, not yet anyway, but it's always in the back of my mind. Last week I went to see a live band play. It was enjoyable, but as I sat there, I found myself wishing I had a map of the US spread out on the table so I could plan my route :). As I look at maps I see more places I'd like to visit, and have started putting together a google map of "Great Destinations". Google is a wonderful thing.


View Larger Map

It's going to take an effort to protect that timeframe and make it actually happen. That's always a very busy time of year, and this year will be no exception especially with Katie heading off to college. If you know of anyplace I "must" go to between here and there, let me know!

1 comments:

M said...

Sounds like fun to me. :)